Sunday, July 1, 2012

The month of June, 2012:

Sat., 6/9:  I had Curtiss Scheutzberg, a local builder-assist contractor, come down & help me fabricate & install the cooling baffles for the front air intakes on the engine. Curtiss did most of my engine and instrument panel work last year, and I have no problem asking for help when I feel I need the expertise. We spent a couple of days making & trimming aluminum baffles & rubber trim to create a nice air-tight baffling system for the air-cooled C-90 engine. 12 hrs.

Sat. & Sun. 6/17 & 18: Started on the installation of the doors and latching hardware. Trimmed both doors to fit the fuselage opening and laid out for the hardware fastener holes. got the pilot side door finished after 2 days of work as there is a ton of detailed measuring and fitting to do. 12 hrs.




Sun. 6/24: Continued work on the doors. 6 hrs.

Sat. & Sun., 6/30 & 7/1: Filled the fuel tanks with 20 gallons of Avgas and found my fuel gauges are not reading properly. After a lot of head scratching we came to the conclusion something is wrong with the fuel sending units in the tanks, and this is not easy to get to. I should have checked the operation of the sending units and gauges before I ever closed up the wing skins and put the wings on the fuselage, so now I get to fix it the hard way. Pulled the fuel sender out of the passenger side wing and found the angle on the float rod was not bent at the correct angle. I had bent it to 105 degrees instead of 125. All of this is boring detail, so let's just say I spent all weekend removing, repairing, and re-installing the fuel senders and now all is good. 13 hrs,  999 total hrs. to date.




No comments:

Post a Comment