Saturday, July 21, 2012

Sat. July 21:   Today I pulled the 750 out of the hangar for the first time in a completed state. I needed to do some run-ins on the new engine, and the plan was to follow engine break-in proceedures spec'd by ECI, an engine parts manufacturer from whom I purchased most of the new engine components. The proceedure is to run the engine up to 1200 rpm for a couple of minutes and then let it completely cool down. Next you run it up to 1800 rpm for a couple of minutes and let it cool down again, never letting the cylinder head temps go over 400 degrees or the oil temp over 200. The last test is to tie the plane off and run it up full power to see if it makes proper RPM of 2150 -2250. She made 2250, so the required power is there for flight. From this point on there will be no more engine runs until the first flight, as the engine must be broken in while flying to provide maximum cooling until the rings seat. All I'm waiting on now is the Airworthiness Inspection scheduled for this upcoming week. Once I get that, I need to log 3 hrs. of dual time in another Zenith 750 to satisfy the insurance company, then it's time to fly. It was a great feeling getting her outside and run that engine good and hard. She looks better than ever outside in the sunshine, and needless to say I'm a little pumped up. I doubt if I'll sleep very soundly tonight.




2 comments:

  1. So it's a SHE! Will she have a name? She looks beautiful. The wingspan is a lot wider than I imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just wondering what will happen first -- your plane flies or I get my skydiving license. Both enough to keep the blood pressure up until they happen!

    ReplyDelete